Judith M. Sasaki
Judith M. Sasaki joined Coleman & Horowitt, LLP in 2011. Prior to joining the firm, she was the managing partner of the Los Angeles firm, Simke, Chodos & Sasaki for eight years. She was also previously associated with the international firm Proskauer Rose, LLP.
Judith’s practice has encompassed a broad range of entertainment industry clients. She has handled matters involving intellectual property, contract, partnership, marketing, trademark, professional liability, employment law, and motion picture distribution. She has a smart, commercial, and practical win-win approach to business litigation. Judith has handled numerous court and jury trials as well as mediations and arbitrations. She has regularly represented clients before the Independent Film and Television Alliance (IFTA) and the International Chamber of Commerce for entertainment related arbitrations. In addition, Judith frequently serves as a speaker for continuing legal education services, including The Rutter Group, on topics relating to trial practice.
- Andreas Carlsson Productions, AB v. Wild (United States District Court, Central District of California) Represented Swedish music production company and songwriter in jury trial regarding copyright infringement, copyright ownership and breach of contract relating to fifteen original songs and a book for a “musiclub” with music and lyrics. Achieved complete verdict in favor of client. (Judge Alexander McKinnon) Also negotiated for client with Cirque du Soleil regarding licensing of music for theatrical production.
- Harvard Lampoon, Inc. v. National Lampoon, Inc. (American Arbitration Association) Represented the Harvard Lampoon in trademark licensing and breach of contract dispute. Achieved arbitration award in favor of client for client, including award of all attorneys’ fees expended in litigation.
- Pomposo v. Pomposo (Los Angeles Superior Court) pro bono representation up through first day of trial for first generation Hispanic family in defense of intra-family business dispute. Settled.
- Patagonia, Inc. Represented client in defense of consumer class action. Able to defeat class certification by attacking causation, injury and damage claims.
- Kidd v. Hollywood Beverly Christian Church (Los Angeles Superior Court) Representation of Hollywood Beverly Christian Church in defense of malicious prosecution case regarding an underlying lawsuit against a service provider. Complete jury verdict in favor of the church. (Judge Joanne B. O’Donnell)
Publications & Speaking
Ms. Sasaki has been a speaker for the Rutter Group since 2003. Most recently she was a speaker at the “Evidence From the Experts” seminar presented by the California Judges Association and the Rutter Group in January 2011.
Honors & Awards
University of Hawaii Law Review, 1983-85; Articles Editor, Commencement Speaker (Class Representative) University of Hawaii Richardson School of Law, 1985; Law Clerk for Judge John Burns, Chief Judge Intermediate Court of Appeals 1985; General Counsel, Coalition of Asian Pacific Entertainers (CAPE); Life Saver Award, Lymphoma Research Foundation of America, 2000.